Keeping Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
When preparing for the holiday season, it’s important to keep in mind that some of the cheer that we enjoy could be harmful, and potentially fatal, for the furry friends in our lives.
When celebrating the season, remember that foods like chocolate and treats sweetened with xylitol (gum, some peanut butters, baked goods), grapes, and raisins can cause your cat or dog to fall ill. Other foods like macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, chives, and salty snack foods, if consumed by your pet, could also result health issues. Alcoholic beverages can also lead to problems that include coma and possible death. Avoid feeding Fluffy or Fido the leftover turkey bones as these bones could become a choking hazard or do damage to internal organs.
When it comes to Christmas decorations, remember to properly secure your Christmas tree to avoid any injuries that may result from a falling evergreen. Eating plants like mistletoe and holly may cause your pet to experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Keep electrical cords out of reach of cats, dogs, and other fuzzy companions that like to chew on loose hanging and easy-to-reach dangling wires. Batteries should also be kept in a secure and safe place. If you choose to bring out a special candle, make sure to use the appropriate candle holders and place the candles in a location that is inaccessible to your animals. If you leave the room, properly extinguish the candles to avoid any burns or unwanted destruction caused by fire.
If you would like to give your pet a special holiday treat or gift, remember that there are many healthy treats and durable toys that are available all year long. Though these items may not be as festive, we know that they are safe for our companions, and at this time of the year, all we really want is to ensure the health and wellbeing of our loved ones – furry or not.